Charlie Goldsmith Associates (CGA) is a UK-registered international development Consultancy working to support the poorest in fragile, conflict-affected, low-income and/or remote places, to get sustainable access to cash, services and control over their own future. The systems we build, and the support we provide, helps information flow, to provide assurance, and enable cash to move accurately, and directly, to the lowest effective level. You can see some of our work at www.sssams.org, www.hrhsl.org, and more at: http://charliegoldsmithassociates.co.uk/projects/
CGA was recently acquired by Lutheran World Relief and IMA World Health. CGA continues to operate autonomously but draws on additional management and leadership and resources. This partnership will lead to new opportunities that combine our expertise and networks to help reduce poverty and support human development in tough places
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
In the last seven years we have grown four-fold; there are more than sixty of us, the majority from the Global South and Diaspora. We are currently working in Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Somalia, Malawi, Rwanda and Kenya, with more anticipated in the coming year. To help us go further, faster and better in delivering for and with the poor, we are looking now looking for an experienced Business Development Manager.
The Business Development Manager is a new position at CGA. On principle, we prefer not to separate programme development from programme delivery: those who deliver, also develop, design, and bid. But the volume and complexity of client requirements, and the growth of what we are working on, especially in the context of our membership of the LWR-IMA organisational family, means that we need someone for a new mid-level role as our Business Development Manager.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Business Development Management and Writing:
- Develop text, capacity statements, and proposal templates for bids, EOIs and SQs
- Support the drafting, editing, and proofreading of proposal documents
- Compile supporting documents for due diligence checks
- Support on finding the right partners and lead on drafting teaming agreements etc.
- Coordinate scheduling and manage bid development workplans
- Represent the organisation at EMEs and discussion events
- Administering the pipeline and process:
- Manage the administration of the pipeline and project database, keep track of all proposal submissions.
- Coordinate calls related to bid development and debriefs with relevant stakeholders, including country programme management, technical teams, finance, external partners, etc.
- Conduct research on donors, partners, and other stakeholders
Our new Business Development Manager will need to be able to:
- Understand what funders and donors seek, but stay focused on development impact, not just the ‘business of development’
- Write engagingly well, and “Answer the exam question” quickly and accurately, hitting the specific criteria clients want
- Make sensible costings, and use excel reliably and effectively
- Politely but firmly herd internal and external cats to meet deadlines for major proposals
- Stand up for the principles set out in “Positive business, a summary”: http://charliegoldsmithassociates.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/200330-CGA-Positive-Business-Ethics-and-Conduct-Policy-V13-2020.pdf, and the wider ethos of the company
- Show, maintain, and inspire, considerable positive energy
- Experience in business development in international development, including in work for a range of funders – our current portfolio includes work funded by DFID, EU, UNICEF, World Bank, GPE, host governments and private foundations
- Practical knowledge of some of our core focus areas (e.g. education, cash & social protection, health).
- Experience in Sub-Saharan Africa or other developing markets
Base location is flexible but would ideally be somewhere where other CGA or LWR/IMA colleagues are based, and where there is enough connectivity to practically do the job, and you need to be legally entitled to work in that place. There would be some advantages to base location being London/UK in terms of being able to represent us there. The work will potentially include some travel, to support our country teams with large proposals.
If you think you could meet these challenges, and would like to be part of a friendly and empowered team that works hard and fast, please send a CV of four pages or fewer, and a well written two page cover letter, about why you want to do the job you are applying for, and summarising evidence of how you meet the specific requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. The recruitment process will be ongoing until the position is filled, but please definitely do get CV and cover letter in before 1/3/20.
We work only on the basis of performance and potential. We recruit against objective criteria. We comply with applicable UK and host country equalities legislation, including the UK Equality Act 2010. Our staff are majority Global South and Diaspora, and we think that is the right and most effective way to work in international development. All applications will be treated equally. For a full recruitment and equalities statement, please see http://charliegoldsmithassociates.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/200330-CGA-Positive-Business-Ethics-and-Conduct-Policy-V13-2020.pdf